How to contribute to this book
As a copylefted work, this book is open to revision and expansion by any
interested parties. The only “catch” is that credit must be given where credit
is due. This is a copyrighted work: it is not in the public
If you wish to cite portions of this book in a work of your own, you must
follow the same guidelines as for any other copyrighted work. Here is a sample
from the Design Science License:
The Work is copyright the Author. All rights to the Work are reserved
by the Author, except as specifically described below. This License
describes the terms and conditions under which the Author permits you
to copy, distribute and modify copies of the Work.
In addition, you may refer to the Work, talk about it, and (as
dictated by “fair use”) quote from it, just as you would any
copyrighted material under copyright law.
Your right to operate, perform, read or otherwise interpret and/or
execute the Work is unrestricted; however, you do so at your own risk,
because the Work comes WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY -- see Section 7 (“NO
If you wish to modify this book in any way, you must document the nature of
those modifications in the “Credits” section along with your name, and ideally,
information concerning how you may be contacted. Again, the Design Science
Permission is granted to modify or sample from a copy of the Work,
producing a derivative work, and to distribute the derivative work
under the terms described in the section for distribution above,
provided that the following terms are met:
(a) The new, derivative work is published under the terms of this
(b) The derivative work is given a new name, so that its name or
title can not be confused with the Work, or with a version of
the Work, in any way.
(c) Appropriate authorship credit is given: for the differences
between the Work and the new derivative work, authorship is
attributed to you, while the material sampled or used from
the Work remains attributed to the original Author; appropriate
notice must be included with the new work indicating the nature
and the dates of any modifications of the Work made by you.
Given the complexities and security issues surrounding the maintenance of
files comprising this book, it is recommended that you submit any revisions or
expansions to the original author (Tony R. Kuphaldt). You are, of course,
welcome to modify this book directly by editing your own personal copy, but we
would all stand to benefit from your contributions if your ideas were
incorporated into the online “master copy” where all the world can see it.
All entries arranged in alphabetical order of surname. Major contributions
are listed by individual name with some detail on the nature of the
contribution(s), date, contact info, etc. Minor contributions (typo corrections,
etc.) are listed by name only for reasons of brevity. Please understand that
when I classify a contribution as “minor,” it is in no way inferior to the
effort or value of a “major” contribution, just smaller in the sense of less
text changed. Any and all contributions are gratefully accepted. I am indebted
to all those who have given freely of their own knowledge, time, and resources
to make this a better book!
Tony R. Kuphaldt
- Date(s) of contribution(s): 1996 to present
- Nature of contribution: Original author.
- Contact at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date(s) of contribution(s): May-June 2000
- Nature of contribution: HTML formatting, some error
- Contact at: email@example.com
- Date(s) of contribution(s): April 2005 to present
- Nature of contribution: Spice-Nutmeg plots, gnuplot Fourier plots
chapters 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; 04/2005.
- Nature of contribution: Broke “Special transformers and
applications” section into subsections. Scott-T and LVDT subsections inserted,
added to Air core transformers subsections chapter 9; 09/2005.
- Nature of contribution: Chapter 13: AC motors; 01/2006.
- Nature of contribution: Mini table of contents, all chapters except
appedicies; html, latex, ps, pdf; See Devel/tutorial.html; 01/2006.
- Nature of contribution: Chapters: all; Incremented edition number
to 6 for major format change. Added floating captioned LaTeX figures for more
book-like appearance of .pdf; 06/2006. Added Doubly-Fed Induction Generator
subsection, CH 13.
- Nature of contribution: Chapter 13: AC motors,“Running 3-phase
motors on 1-phase”, added to. Ch10, Ch12, minor change, 02/2009.
- Contact at: dcrunkilton(at)att(dot)net
Bill Stoddard, www.billsclockworks.com
- Date(s) of contribution(s): June 2005
- Nature of contribution: Granted permission to reprint synchronous
westclox motor jpg's, Reprinted by permission of Westclox History at
www.clockHistory.com, chapter 13
- Contact at: bill(at)billsclockworks(dot)com
Your name here
- Date(s) of contribution(s): Month and year of contribution
- Nature of contribution: Insert text here, describing how you
contributed to the book.
- Contact at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Typo corrections and other “minor” contributions
- line-allaboutcircuits.com (June 2005) Typographical error
correction in Volumes 1,2,3,5, various chapters, (s/visa-versa/vice versa/).
- The students of Bellingham Technical College's Instrumentation
- Bart Anderson (January 2004) Corrected conceptual and safety errors
regarding Tesla coils.
- Ed Beroset (May 2002) Suggested better ways to illustrate the
meaning of the prefix “poly-” in chapter 10.
- anonymous (September 2007) Typo correction in Basic AC chapter,
- Michiel van Bolhuis (April 2007), Corrections numerous chapters,
images: 12008.eps, 02053.eps, 02056.eps, 02062.eps, 02515.eps, 02257.eps,
02258.eps, 02068.eps, 02074.eps, 02516.eps, 02516.eps, 02263.eps, text:
s/(Figure 8.18/(Figure 8.18), s/dividing it my the/dividing it by the/, s/will
be drive it/will drive it/, s/because we can to use/because we can use/,
s/phase shift makes complicates/phase shift complicates/, s/750 kiloWatt/750
Watt, s/over 50 Kw use/over 50 kW use/, s/in an open ended/in open
- Kieran Clancy (August 2006) Ch 4, s/capcitive/capacitive,
s/positive negative/positive or negative.
- Richard Cooper (December 2005) Clarification of 02206.eps,
02209.eps 3-phase transformer images. Correction of 02210.eps open-delta
- Colin Creitz (May 2007) Chapters: several, s/it's/its.
- Duane Damiano (February 2003) Pointed out magnetic polarity error
in DC generator illustration.
- Jeff DeFreitas (March 2006)Improve appearance: replace "/" and ”/"
- Sean Donner (January 2005) Typographical error correction in
“Series resistor-inductor circuits” section, Chapter 3: REACTANCE AND
IMPEDANCE -- INDUCTIVE “Voltage and current” section, (If we were restrict
ourselves /If we were to restrict ourselves), (Across voltage across the
resistor/ Voltage across the resistor); More on the “skin effect” section,
(corrected for the skin effect/corrected for the skin effect).
(January 2005),Typographical error correction in “AC capacitor circuits”
section, Chapter 4: REACTANCE AND IMPEDANCE -- CAPACITIVE (calculate the phase
angle of the inductor's reactive opposition / calculate the phase angle of the
capacitor's reactive opposition).
(January 2005),Typographical error correction in “ Parallel R, L, and C”
section, Chapter 5: REACTANCE AND IMPEDANCE -- R, L, AND C, (02083.eps, change
Vic to Vir above resistor in image)
(January 2005),Typographical error correction in “Other waveshapes”
section, Chapter 7: MIXED-FREQUENCY AC SIGNALS, (which only allow passage
current in one direction./ which only allow the passage of current in one
(January 2005),Typographical error correction in “What is a filter?”
section, Chapter 8: FILTERS, (from others in within mixed-frequency signals. /
from others within mixed-frequency signals.), (dropping most of the voltage
gets across series resistor / dropping most of the voltage across series
- Brendan Finley (March 2007) Suggested content change in
Transformers chapter, clarified text, changed image 02305.eps “Mutual
inductance and basic operation” section.
- Steven Jones (November 2006) Suggested content addition in Power
factor chapter, added graph to “Calculating factor correction” section.
- Harvey Lew (February 2003) Typo correction in Basic AC chapter:
word “circuit” should have been “circle”.
- Elmo Mäntynen (August 2006) Numerous corrections in chapters:
Resonance, Polyphase AC Circuits, Power Factor, AC Motors.
- Jim Palmer (May 2002) Typo correction on complex number math.
- Bob Schmid (April 20027) Suggested we add Inductosyn, added to
- Don Stalkowski (June 2002) Technical help with PostScript-to-PDF
file format conversion.
- John Symonds (March 2002) Suggested an improved explanation of the
- Puddy Tat@allaboutcircuits.com (May 2007) Pointed out error in Form
Factor definition and calculation, 3plcs Ch 1.3 .
- Joseph Teichman (June 2002) Suggestion and technical help regarding
use of PNG images instead of JPEG.
- Mark D. Zarella (April 2002) Suggested an improved explanation for
the “average” value of a waveform.
- email@example.com (April 2007) Transformer voltage
regulation example error, image: 12105.eps.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (April 2007) Resonance, Parallel;
missing formula, image: 12081.eps.
- email@example.com (July 2007) Ch 1, “AC Phase”
image 02022.png not displayed in html.
- Dave@allaboutcircuits.com (Aug 2007) Ch , s/Vary/Very/ .
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Sept 2007) Ch 1 , s/as a the/as the/,
s/eight white/seven white/ .
- email@example.com (Oct 2007) Ch 1 , s/100/180
trigonometric sin function table.
- Devin Bayer (September 2007) Correction to sml2html.sed, } to } in
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Nov 2007) Ch 13 , Corrected error
concerning Tesla's sale of AC induction motor, Change one million to to
- email@example.com (Feb 2008) Ch 9 , Clarification
of light load as refering to less current.
- Unregistered@allaboutcircuits.com (Feb 2008) Ch 2, s/by/be in "More
on AC polaity" section.
- Timothy Kingman (Feb 2008) Changed default roman font to
- Imranullah Syed (Feb 2008) Suggested centering of uncaptioned
- ShaunManners@allaboutcircuits.com (Feb 2008) Ch 1 , Error in the
sign of value in sine table.
- Dennis Crunkilton (Feb 2009) Ch 13 , s/Over-speed/Under-speed
- peter firstname.lastname@example.org (Feb 2009) Ch 2 , image 02046.png
- Unregistered Guest@allaboutcircuits.com (April 2009) Ch 2 , s/that
its/that it is/.
- The Electrician@allaboutcircuits.com (November 2009) Ch 1,
Clarification: average responding metermovement is a d'Arsonval movement.
- email@example.com (January 2010) Ch 13, image 02419.png
02420.png moved single phase motors for polyphase to singnle phase